Monday, March 10, 2008

So, anyway, as I was saying...

...this head cold is kickin' mah butt. No, really, it did. Piece of advice for all of you--- if you are having trouble breathing, do NOT keep saying you will go see the doctor next week. Here's all the fun I've had over the past few days...

By last Wednesday night, I was REALLY having trouble breathing, and figured I maybe better go see the doc the next day. Well, I never slept Wednesday night because I spent the entire night gasping for air. But I didn't want to wake my husband up to take me to the hospital because 1-he needed his sleep, and 2-I didn't want to leave the kids alone. So I discovered if I just sat straight up, perfectly still, I wouldn't gasp for air quite as much. Finally, it was morning and everyone was up, so I asked my husband to take me to the ER once the kids got off to school. He wanted to go right then, but, again, I'm a Mom and didn't want to leave the kids alone, so I agreed to start getting dressed while the kids got ready and out the door.

OOPS, too late, by then just the act of standing up and trying to get dressed sent me into a crisis and my husband had to call 911. But Vanity thy name is Woman because, as I'm gasping and suffocating I made my husband help me get dressed. After which, I half crawled/ half ran out into the garage in a panic hoping that the cold air would get my lungs started. As I kneeled on the floor of the garage hoping that the paramedics would get there before I suffocated, all I could think of was that I still had to brush my teeth. And by God, once the paramedics got there and they lifted me up, I made my husband bring me my toothbrush with toothpaste on it and a glass of water. No way was I breathing morning breath all over these people! Keep in mind, that I am barely breathing at this point, yet I was obsessing over brushing my teeth! GOOD GRIEF!

Anyway, long story short, I spent a couple of nights in the hospital, NOT a place to go when you need to sleep, btw. Diagnosis was acute bronchitis, probably brought on by a combination of the sneezefests I've been having due to allergies that have appeared this winter, and that damn lingering head cold. I was supposed to be discharged Saturday after the home health equipment place delivered equipment for breathing treatments. But we had a wee bit of a blizzard here in Ohio and they wouldn't deliver the equipment. Keep in mind that the hospital was full of people waiting for rooms, and some people couldn't be discharged because the storm prevented medical transport. So, when I said my husband was coming to get me even if he had to borrow a team of Huskies, the docs figured out a combo of meds/inhalents that were available at pharmacies to keep me going until the medical supply place could deliver the equipment.

Which started the next phase of fun--- finding an open pharmacy to fill all the prescriptions. FINALLY found one open in a nearby town, and FINALLY got home about 9:30 Saturday night.

But, mah butt is officially kicked. They tell me to not expect to be over this for a good month, and even then I should keep an inhaler at hand in case something triggers it again. So, that finalizes my decision about RT Con-- I've always been sensitive to certain perfumes and colognes, and I can't see wading into a sea of scents at RT Con without getting myself into more breathing trouble. So, decision made. Pittsburgh will just have to go on without me. Hee.

In the meantime, my daughter came home from college on Thursday to try and help with some of my work but didn't leave in time to miss the storm. So here she sat with all her homework in Cleveland and NO WAY were we going to let her drive back during that freaklin' blizzard! She was finally able to get out and back Sunday morning though.

And, to top it all off, our oldest son is in India for two weeks. The last I had heard from him, he emailed me Wednesday morning and said they were leaving New Delhi and were heading by bus to another small town about 4-5 hours away. So, I had my daughter emailing him since I wasn't home to see if he had contacted me or not. But SHE wasn't getting a response from him either! First thing I did when I got home Saturday was check my email and, NOPE, no response. So by Sunday, we were getting worried. Fortunately, he called late Sunday morning. Seems the small town they went to had hinky dial-up and his emails were bouncing back. PHEW!

So, all is (sorta) well in our little corner of the world now. I have got soooo much work to do and only so much energy to do it. But I WILL get back to blogging eventually. And reading--- I went so long without sleeping that I couldn't even concentrate on a book! *GASP* I FINALLY got a decent night's sleep last night, but now I feel crappy from a sleep hangover.

Oh, and btw, maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind to judge it, but I have to say that I've been trying to slog through Nicole Jordan's - To Pleasure a Lady - Courtship Wars 1. It's taken me since Friday to get to page 130, and, frankly, it's pretty BORING. I may set it aside and try agin when I'm feeling better, but I just don't see this snooze-fest engaging me any other time either. *YAWN*


Jaci Burton said...

holy crap Bev! That's scary. Next time don't wait so long to seek treatment.

Glad you're home and recovering. Now allow yourself time to actually recover.


Madelynne Ellis said...

Good grief, woman! Give yourself a break, eh? Hoping your much improved.


jade_kristen said...

OMG Bev take care of yourself hon. That sounds scary. LOL the trip to the hospital sounds like something I would do too though.
I had an anxiety attack a while ago and refused to go to the hospital because I couldn't stop crying and looked like shit. My mom was freaking out. Us women are weird creatures huh?

I hope you're feeling better soon. And take it easy, get some rest. Take advantage of being sick and make everyone take care of you.


Aradia said...

You poor QB!
Forget about the work and the books, just rest and get better.
Sending you lots of good thoughts and wishing you a fast recovery.

Bev(QB) said...

Thanks everyone! Yeah I WISH I could take it easy, but this is so the wrong time of the month and year and I've got bucketloads of work that abolutely MUST be finished ASAP. Of course, that's why I kept putting off going to the Doc's to begin with. DUMB!

So, I'm just going to have to take a break from blogging here and reviewing here and at TGTBTU until I get caught up on work.

Fortunately, since I knew I had all this work coming up, I didn't commit to too many reviews for TGTBTU, just a few really special ones, some of which I've already either finished, started writing, or at least read the books.

Hopefully, I'll get caught up soon. And now I don't have the added pressure of trying to get ready for RT Con too.

Kris said...

Chicka, take it easy!! Go to the hospital :P
Your toothbrush thing reminded me of my mother. She did a similar thing when she was in labor with me. After her water broke, she took a shower (she said her hair was dirty) and drove herself to my dad's work to pick him up then drove to the hospital.

Madame Butterfly said...

Hey Bev, I hope you're feeling better by now. What a crappy thing to have to go through. Difficulty breathing is NEVER good.

Brush your teeth while dying for air?
Heh, I would have been thinking the same thing. Some things a girl's gotta do no matter what. :)

Gail said...

Oh dear. I know I'm late reading this, but dang woman!! You sure know how to make a blizzard exciting. Next time just flash us or something, nothing life threatening, please.

From one who lives just a little south of you, the snow is melting!!! Okay, it's raining too, but at least its not snowing. Take care!!