Monday, August 18, 2008

My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon

"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.



My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon Book CoverP.N. Elrod, editor - My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (St. Martin's Griffin Trade, Dec. 26, 2007)

Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 3" out of 9"


This was my most recent MomMobile book. I like to keep a short story anthology in the MomMobile at all times so that I’m never without a book when I find myself waiting around at the doctor, dentist, orthodontist, cheerleading practice, football practice (ugh, the youngest demon spawn chose football over soccer this year. I no likey.), etc. Usually, if I know I’ll be waiting any length of time, I take along the book I’m currently reading, but sometimes I forget it, or I’m stuck unexpectedly waiting, so these anthologies have been real sanity preservers for me.

Anyway, just for fun (and because the poor thing spent 8 months in the MomMobile), I thought I would give a little teaser for each story. MBFSH was enjoyable and I definitely recommend it.


Stalked by Kelley Armstrong
A must-read for Women of the Otherworld fans: Clay and Elena’s honeymoon!

Heorot by Jim Butcher
You know, Jim Butcher has had stories appear in a couple of anthologies I’ve read and I think I like his voice. But The Dresden Files series just has sooooo many books that I just can’t bring myself to start that kind of commitment. I dunno, maybe I should do a bit of research and see whether his most ardent fans can tell me if there is a particular book I could jump in with.

“I stared at her for a moment, and only partly because the rain had begun to make the white shirt she wore beneath the suit jacket become transparent. She sounded sincere—which meant nothing. I’ve learned better than to trust my judgment when there’s a blonde involved. Or a brunette. Or a redhead.


Roman Holiday or SPO-arrrrrr by Rachel Caine
“In My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, Cecilia Lockhart met her perfect match in an undead pirate captain. But even in calm seas, the course of true love never does run smooth...”


Her Mother’s Daughter by P.N. Elrod
I really liked the male voice in this one. I probably should check to see if there are other Jack Fleming stories out there.
Jack Fleming relates his latest case from The Vampire Files:
It’s been my experience that a blushing bride usually waits until after the honeymoon’s over before hiring a gumshoe to check up on her husband’s whereabouts.”


Newlydeads by Caitlin Kittredge
Honestly, this one was kind of a clunker for me. I’m not familiar with Kittredge, but her voice just doesn’t work for me and I felt like I was missing some crucial bits that would help me to understand her worldbuilding.
“This story takes place in the world of the Black, place of fae, demons, and magic users that hides in the nooks and crannies of the real.”


Where the Heart Lives by Marjorie M. Liu
I don’t think I would enjoy Liu’s voice in a full length novel, but it works very well here. Very reminiscent of the type of stories in my old junior high Alfred Hitchcock's Stories for Late at Night anthology.
“This story... takes place before the events of [The Dirk & Steele] series, and is a glimpse into the lives of those who influenced the creation of the Dirke & Steele detective agency.”


Cat Got Your Tongue? By Katie MacAlister
This is set in the world of her Dark Ones, and KatieMac’s irreverent tone was a perfect counterpoint to some of the darker stories in MBFSH.

Half of Being Married by Lilith Saintcrow
“When a werewolf marries a vampire hunter, the honeymoon can be a killer...”


A Wulf in Groom’s Clothing by Ronda Thompson
A cute contemporary descended from Thompson’s Wild Wulf’s of London series.

Piquant Opines: DA, RT, Ladytink (via Marta Acosta's VampireWire)



Have you read this book? Feel free to review or link to a review in the comments. Even if you don't agree!

No comments: