Saturday, May 30, 2009

2009 Audie Award Winners!

I promise a nice, long chatty post later about what I've been doing during my Blogosphere Break, but first I have to say that, in addition to being a bad blogger, I also really suck as a fangirl. If it wasn't for an email from Phil G today (SQUEE!), who knows when I would have remembered to check the results of last nights Audie Awards! DOH!

Phil Giganteaudiobook- The Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningAnyway, note the winner in the Romance book category-- uh-huh, that's right, Mr. Eargasm himself, Phil Gigante, for his brilliant narration performance of Karen Marie Moning's The Dark Highlander (the one with Dageus MacKeltar and Chloe Zanders)!!

Although, as I've said before, they really should have created a whole new Series Narration category so he could win that one too. Right along with Johanna Parker. Oh, have I mentioned that I'm a Phil G. fangirl? Hmmm... I might have had a thing or two to say about him here and here, here, here, here, and here, oh and here, here, here, and here.

Aural PleasuresAs an audio book enthusiast (and in the interest of fairness), I want to congratulate ALL the deserving nominees. But really, there can't be too many other narrators that have fangirl groupies swooning over them, can there?



Here's a few of the categories and winners. For the complete list, go to The Audio Publisher's Association (APA) site (which should have them posted soon) or, as I did, go to AudioFile Magazine's Audies page.


CHILDREN’S TITLES FOR AGES 8-12
The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden, Narrated by Tony Shalhoub, Macmillan Audio
Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine, Narrated by Sarah Naughton and a full cast, Full Cast Audio
WINNER: The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman, Narrated by Neil Gaiman, HarperAudio
One-Handed Catch, by M.J. Auch, Narrated by Ryan Sparkes and a full cast, Full Cast Audio
Nation, by Terry Pratchett, Narrated by Stephen Briggs, HarperAudio

CLASSIC
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain, Narrated by Grover Gardner, Blackstone Audio,Inc.
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas, Narrated by John Lee, Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Galapagos, by Kurt Vonnegut, Narrated by Jonathan Davis, Audible, Inc.
WINNER: Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens, Narrated by Simon Vance, Tantor Media
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde, Narrated by Simon Vance, Blackstone Audio, Inc.

HISTORY
The Bloody Shirt, by Stephen Budiansky, Narrated by Phil Gigante, Brilliance Audio
WINNER: Gandhi and Churchill, by Arthur Herman, Narrated by John Curless, Recorded Books
The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea – The Forgotten War of the South Pacific, by James Campbell, Narrated by Stephen Hoye, Tantor Media
The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family, by Annette Gordon-Reed, Narrated by Karen White, Tantor Media
Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood, by Mark Harris, Narrated by Lloyd James, Tantor Media

MULTI–VOICED PERFORMANCE
Family Audio Bible, Narrated by Dick Cavett, Marsha Mason, Andrew McCarthy, Martha Plimpton and Tom Wopat, HarperAudio
WINNER: Mudbound, by Hillary Jordan, Narrated by Joey Collins, Peter Jay Fernandez, Kate Forbes, Ezra Knight, Brenday Pressley and Tom Stechschulte, Recorded Books
The Plague of Doves, by Louise Erdrich, Narrated by Peter Francis James and Kathleen McInerney, HarperAudio
The Word of Promise®: Next Generation-New Testament, by Various Authors, Narrated by Sean Astin and a full cast including Codey Linley, AnnaSophia Robb and Jordin Sparks, Thomas Nelson, Inc

MYSTERY
A Killing Frost, by R. D. Wingfield, Narrated by Stephen Thorne, Ulverscroft Group Ltd
Cross, by Ken Bruen, Narrated by Gerry O'Brien, Ulverscroft Group Ltd
The Silver Swan, by Benjamin Black, Narrated by Timothy Dalton, Macmillan Audio
Swan Peak, by James Lee Burke, Narrated by Will Patton, Simon & Schuster Audio
WINNER: Voice of the Violin, by Andrea Camilleri, Narrated by Grover Gardner, Blackstone Audio, Inc.

NARRATION BY THE AUTHOR or AUTHORS
Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter, Random House Audio
Joshilyn Jackson, The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, Hachette Audio
Cokie Roberts, Ladies of Liberty, HarperAudio
WINNER: David Sedaris, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, Hachette Audio
Maria Shriver, Just Who Will You Be? HyperionAudio

POLITICS — JUDGES AWARD
Descent into Chaos, by Ahmed Rashid, Narrated by Arthur Morey, Brilliance Audio
WINNER: Hot, Flat, and Crowded, by Thomas Friedman, Narrated by Oliver Wyman, Macmillan Audio
Mike's Election Guide, by Michael Moore, Narrated by Michael Moore, Hachette Audio
The War Within, by Bob Woodward, Narrated by Boyd Gaines, Simon & Schuster Audio
The Way of the World, by Ron Suskind, Narrated by Alan Sklar, HarperAudio

in the moodROMANCE
WINNER: The Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning, Narrated by Phil Gigante, Brilliance Audio
Fire Me Up, by Katie MacAlister, Narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, Recorded Books
Forbidden, by Suzanne Brockmann, Narrated by Traci Svensgaard, Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Mismatch, by Tami Hoag, Narrated by Jen Taylor, BBC Audiobooks America
Tribute, by Nora Roberts, Narrated by Jennifer Van Dyck, Brilliance Audio

SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY
WINNER: Calculating God, by Robert J. Sawyer, Narrated by Jonathan Davis, Audible, Inc.
Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke, Narrated by Eric Michael Summerer, Audible, Inc.
Ghost Radio, by Leopoldo Gout, Narrated by Pedro Pascal, HarperAudio
Skybreaker, by Kenneth Oppel, Narrated by David Kelly, Full Cast Audio
Sunrise Alley, by Catherine Asaro, Narrated by Hillary Huber, Blackstone Audio, Inc.

TEENS
Burn Journals, by Brent Runyon, Narrated by Christopher Evan Welch, Recorded Books
The Compound, by S. A. Bodeen, Narrated by Christopher Lane, Brilliance Audio
WINNER: Curse of the Blue Tattoo, by L.A. Meyer, Narrated by Katherine Kellgren, Listen & Live Audio
Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine, Narrated by Sarah Naughton, Full Cast Audio
Paper Towns, by John Green, Narrated by Dan John Miller, Brilliance Audio
The Uprising, by Margaret P. Haddix, Narrated by Suzanne Toren, Recorded Books

THRILLER/SUSPENSE
Blue Heaven, by C.J. Box, Narrated by John Bedford Lloyd, Macmillan Audio
WINNER: Child 44, by Tom Rob Smith, Narrated by Dennis Boutsikaris, Hachette Audio
Executive Privilege, by Phillip Margolin, Narrated by Jonathan Davis, HarperAudio
The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman, Narrated by Neil Gaiman, HarperAudio
Sweetheart, by Chelsea Cain, Narrated by Carolyn McCormick, Macmillan Audio

AUDIOBOOK OF THE YEAR
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini, read by Gerard Doyle, published by Listening Library
WINNER: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, read by the author, published by HarperAudio
A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father by Augusten Burroughs, read by the author, published by Macmillan Audio

Distinguished Achievement in Production
WINNER: Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. Meyer, read by Katherine Kellgren, published by Listen & Live Audio
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine, read by Sarah Naughton and a full cast, published by Full Cast Audio
Many Things Invisible by Carrington MacDuffie, read by the author, published by Blackstone Audio
The New Adventures of Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer by various authors, read by Stacy Keach and a full cast, published by Blackstone Audio
Louis Vuitton Soundwalk: Shanghai read by Joan Chen, published by Soundwalk

About Audio Publishers Association (APA)

The Audio Publishers Association (APA) is a not-for-profit trade organization whose primary goals are to promote awareness of the audiobook industry, gather and disseminate industry statistics, encourage high production standards and represent the interests of audiobook publishers. Since 1986, the APA has worked to bring audio publishers together to increase interest in audiobooks. Please visit www.audiopub.org for more information.

7 comments:

LVLM(Leah) said...

Oh yay!!! That you posted something, anything. I misses you. :D

I'm so glad that Phil won. Bad me though, I still haven't listened to my Highlander book with him narrating. You can slap me upside the head ala Gibbs.

What? Johanna Parker wasn't nominated for anything? Crap, she's totally making Sookie rock for me.

And I know you probably didn't notice, but I just can't believe that Maya Angelou didn't win in the author reading category. Seriously??? I love her voice and the way she talks/reads.

So waiting for your explanation of absence. :D

Bev(QB) said...

I cannot believe you own a Highlander audiobook and haven't listened to it yet! Seriously, are you THAT afraid that you will become as hopelessly addicted as I was (and still am)?

You know, thanks to Johanna Parker I was able to READ Dead and Gone and enjoyed the hell out of it. I still will buy the audio book, but Parker's previous Sookie narration has given me the ability to "hear" Sookie in my head when I'm reading now. I've never looked back to previous Audie Awards, but maybe she won an earlier one and she's now so identified with Sookie that no one singles her out anymore.

As for the Narration by the Author category, I'm surprised that the Neil Gaiman book wasn't nominated there too. I haven't read or listened to The Graveyard Book but I don't think I've run across anyone who hasn't adored it.

As soon as I finish end-of-month work crunch, I'm hoping to spend some time here and visiting other blogs. Note the use of the term "HOPING". *sigh*

azteclady said...

*hoping with Bev*



We've missed you, woman!

azteclady said...

Hello?



*tumbleweed*



HELLO????




*echo*

Anonymous said...

Hi QB! I'm Dawn! Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself! Phil G. suggested that you and I would probably get along really well if we ever met. Since I can't figure out if there's an email link on your site, I'll try making a post to reach you!

Soooo had to celebrate when our man, Phil, won the much deserved Audie Award!! Woot!!! It's about time!!! BTW, if you ever stop by the Karen Marie Moning forums online for a laugh, you'll find that I'm the Head Pri-ya (addicted sex slave) of Phil's Eargasmic Harem over there (a quasi fan club I formed there for those of us that love his audiobook performances). My user ID there is DoberDawn.

We all adore the words you coined for him! Eargasm and Eargasmic! Phil said you're the one who originally came up with those. Too funny and too PURRfect!! You are so witty!! Hey, you should consider yourself an honorary Pri-ya in his Harem, since you've been a supporter of his and pushing the audiobooks for a long time too, and... afterall, we OWE you for the most perfect words ever to describe his performances!! Eargasmic!!! Woo Hoo!

Drop me a line sometime if you notice this post! Love your site... off to go enjoy your candy confections!!

Dawn

Bev(QB) said...

AZL, I wuvvles you cuz you never forget me... even though I've become the worst blogger in all of Romancelandia.

Dawn, WELCOME! I didn't realize that Phil now has his very own harem over on the KMM board! LMAO! Poor Phil! But then again, once he blushed his way through my fangirl nattering about his eargasmic aural pleasures, I guess he was already prepared to accept the inevitable gaggle of groupies forming a harem. Thank God his gorgeous wife has a sense of humor about all this!

I've been a member over there since the new board appeared (instead of the old tree style). I just never seem to find the time to even lurk too many places lately, but I will make a point of stopping by. If I remember right, my user name is BevL(QB).

In fact, I don't know if it still exists, but I believe I created the very first Kilt Thread and filled it up with braw lads showing their... knees. ;-D Those who have been around here for awhile are probably not a bit surprised by that fact either.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bev!

You've been visited by a certain hombre with some verrah sexeh pipes!!! So, you may want to stop back over at KMM today. LOL

Yes, poor Phil is constantly being made to blush by his harem's ravings over there. But, I do think (hope) he enjoys the adoration too.

Given the article he wrote about his Lady on Valenduckie last year (wasn't it then or was it 2 years ago???)... he's such a romantic about her that she has to be feeling pretty secure, even if he is surrounded by a bunch of bampots! LOL That article was totally swoon worthy, eh?

Oh, BTW, I had a funny experience yesterday ... such a comedy of errors. It was so silly and embarassing, totally goofy fangirl behavior, that I almost did not post about it on KMM. But, it was so funny, I decided to go ahead.

Well, after I did ... at least 4 more women decided to order the audiobooks, and a couple others are considering it! If they have rendered me this much of a "fangirl bampot" that I would have that crazy of a thing happen... they decided now they had to hear them!!!

Oh, it was funny and you can come on over and read all about it. I'm still blushing about it and laughing at the same time. But, I have to say... if my own ridiculous bampot behavior encourages more women to give him a listen... I can live with the embarassment of how silly it was! LOL

Now, I need to find those kilted delights of yours.... do you still have them if they're not still on the site?? Hope - Hope??

Dawn