Thursday, September 11, 2008

More QB's Quickies

"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.




The Bleeding DuskWhen Twilight BurnsColleen Gleason – The Gardella Vampire Chronicles

1. The Rest Falls Away (see previous)
2. Rises the Night (see previous)
3. The Bleeding Dusk
4. When Twilight Burns


Series Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 5.5" out of 9"

Interesting twists and turns in both most recent books of this historical urban fantasy series, with The Bleeding Dusk being the more action-packed, OMGHOLYSHIT of the two, whereas When Twilight Burns has more OhNoSheD'int action. Victoria’s sex life heats up, but by the end of book 4, her LOVE life gets both more complicated and yet more clear. Hmmm... not sure I’m happy about it either.
Piquant Opines: RT, RT, Book Binge (Brie), Ramblings (Katiebabs), DA (Jia), Bam, SB (Sarah)

Demon’s FireEmma Holly - Demon’s Fire, Demon World 6

See INDEX for previous books.
Watch book trailor.




Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 9" out of 9"

With Fairyville (see previous) and now Demon’s Fire, Emma Holly is back in top form and playing to her strengths. The Demon series has been up and down for me and I had considered dropping it. I’m glad I didn’t because Demon’s Fire was worth the read. It is centered around Prince Pahndir (from Prince of Ice) and follows his story after he is given his freedom. However, it is absolutely NOT necessary to have read any of the previous books in this series to enjoy this one. If you HAVE read them, you’ll see some familiar names (even Queen Tou!), but their presence is explained well enough for first-timers to the series to enjoy this book as well. While Holly’s traditional m/f relationships often seem to be lacking some depth and heat, to me it seems that Holly’s writing is far more engaging when she includes non-traditional male sexual practices (including male subs, m/m and/or m/m/f relationships) in her books. So keep ‘em comin’, Emma!

Although, I have to admit that the Demon World series is often a bit disorienting to me. It’s set just close enough to the real Victorian society that when she throws out a mention of something that isn’t historically accurate I have to shake it off and remind myself that this series takes place in a world only SIMILAR to the Victorian era. Oh, and words to note for those who aren’t familiar with this series--- they aren’t really demons. They are an advanced race, isolated in what I guess would be the equivalent of Asia, whose looks are dissimilar enough from (Victorian English) humans that they are referred to as demons.
Piquant Opines: RipMyBodice, DA (Jane), RT, CTR


LyonElizabeth Amber - Lords of Satyr

1. Nicholas (see previous)
2. Raine (see previous)
3. Lyon




Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 6.5" out of 9"

This fantasy historical series is a bit uneven for me. While I give Amber kudos for the different setting, unique characters, and unusual world building (not to mention the manalicious covers), the first book, Nicholas, was sort of fascinating but I can't say that it was an entirely engrossing read. The second book, Raine, was original, and unforgettable. Like Nicholas, this third book, Lyon, is also interesting but missing that extra spark to keep me engrossed. Don’t get me wrong, I DID enjoy it, and it DID have some unique elements, but it just wasn’t the intense story I was hoping for.

I think part of my problem was that I believe Amber was setting up a mystery involving two female characters, but she didn’t give enough details or clues to pique my curiosity enough to try and figure it out. So her veiled references became something I wanted her to just explain and get it over with so I wouldn’t have to be bothered by the odd, unexplained statements/scenes scattered here and there throughout the story..

Nonetheless, I will be picking up the next one in the series, Dominic (Feb. 2009). I have no clue who Dominic is since I don’t recall him ever being mentioned. My best guess is that, based on events at the ending of Lyon, that his story takes place in Elseworld.
Piquant Opines: RT, PNR,CTR



Have you read any of these books? Feel free to review or link to a review in the comments. Even if you don't agree!

No comments: