Sunday, June 24, 2007

QB's Quickies


"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.


Colleen Gleason - The Gardella Vampire Chronicles
1. The Rest Falls Away (see previous commentary)
2. Rises the Night

Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 5” out of 9”

I have to say first off that I did not find Rises the Night quite as enjoyable as The Rest Falls Away. For me, the juxtaposition between Victoria’s traditional role as a member of the veddy proper Ton and her kick-ass role as a Venator is what gave the first book it’s unique appeal. This second book focuses almost exclusively on vampire slaying and the Venators. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy this one, on the contrary, Colleen delivers some jaw-dropping twists, turns, and Holy Shit shocks. Oh, and those sparks that flew between Victoria and bad boy Sebastian from book 1? They get fanned into full flame in this one.
Piquant Opines: Bam, RT, RJ, AAR,

Angela Knight - Mageverse
1. Seductions Gift- Hot Blooded anthology- Lancelot and Grace
2. Master of the Night - Reece and Erin
3. Galahad- Bite anthology- Galahad and Caroline
4. Master of the Moon- Llyr and Diana
5. Master of Wolves- Jim and Faith
6. Master of Swords- Gawain and Lark
7. Moon Dance- Over the Moon anthology- Lucas and Elena
8. Master of Dragons - Kel and Nineva

Series Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 7” out of 9”

Is this the last book in the Mageverse? I don’t want it to be, but this book was so damn good, I don’t know where else Angela could possibly take this series! We revisit old friends, we see the defeat of old enemies. We get a buttload of satisfying and wondrous HEAs. What magic can Angela possibly pull out of her pen to top all that?! Has there ever been a more original paranormal series? My only problem? That unfortunate Sandra-Hill-like cover pic on this newest one. GAK! Kel deserved better.
Piquant Opines: RT, RJ, AAR,

Jacquelyn Frank - The Nightwalkers
1. Jacob - Jacob and Isabella; Kane And Corinne
2. Gideon - Gideon and Magdelegna

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 6" out of 9”

Honestly, I really enjoyed the first book, Jacob, and appreciated what an intelligent, unique heroine Isabella was. The first part of Gideon, however, was tedious to read through. I actually had to force myself to continue reading. It got a bit better as the story unfolded but it just wasn’t the enjoyable read that Jacob was. Gideon was introduced as a character in Jacob and I found him very intriguing and was looking forward to his story with Legna, but he seemed to have lost some of his appeal to me in this one. I think the main problem with this book, for me, was that there was very little dialogue or action relative to the endless third person descriptions of what Gideon and/or Legna were thinking or feeling. If one of them asked a question or made a statement, it was followed by pages of internal angst so that by the time a response was given, I had forgotten what the conversation was about. And, frankly, Legna was just a confusing character to me.

Nonetheless, the included excerpt from the upcoming Elijah sounds like it’s going to be a good one. And I can’t wait to meet the woman that Noah loses his heart to!
Piquant Opines: RT, RJ, AAR,

Yasmine Galenorn - Sisters of the Moon
1. Witchling - Camille
2. Changeling - Delilah

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 6” out of 9”

I’m not much of a witch story reader. It seems witches as heroines are portrayed as either omnipotent and able to pull powers out of their ass as the story needs them, or else they are portrayed as bumbling, yet earnest, airheads. This series combines both. On the surface, this story shouldn’t appeal to me at all- 3 sisters (a sultry witch, an flighty shifter, an angry vampire) who are Otherworld (elves, trolls, fae, etc.) agents assigned Earthside as a sort of punishment for their incompetence. Yet they come through and save the day. Sounds completely light and silly yet somehow it all works and even has depth, heart, and drama. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Witchling and have now found Changeling just as enjoyable.
Piquant Opines: RT, AAR,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey QB I felt the same way about Gideon. Except I just put it down one day and never picked it back up. Gideon's character grew on me, but Legna just began to irritate me. I like more action and less internal dialogue as well, and I just got very tired of waiting for them to have sex. It became frustrating. I wasn't enjoying the book anymore so I just had to let it go.
I Hope you had a wonderful vacation. Hope we see you over at Lora's soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jade! Gideon DOES set up some new storylines and introduces some new characters. I particularly like JF's take on shifters. But, while Legna was great as a secondary/supporting character, she just wasn't interesting enough to warrent an entire story about her.

I've lurked a bit on Lora's board this week, but just haven't taken the time to post because (as I'm sure you know)all it takes is typing in one response and the next thing you know, 2 hours have gone by!

Anonymous said...

I loved Jacob, and I'm really looking forward to Elijah and Noah's stories. But this one just wasn't doing it for me.

I know what you mean I've spent most of my weekend in my computer chair. LOL. I've also been on the Bradford Bunch page everyday this week. Thanks for letting us all know about that great blog!