Thursday, May 17, 2007

QB's Aural Quickies


"So, HEARD any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.



Judith Ivory - The Indiscretion (unabridged)
Narrated by Barbara Rosenblat
~
Audio Book Category: Lava Cake - reads like warm Chocolate Lava Cake... à la Mode... sprinkled with nuts. (A,A-)
Flame Height: 4” out of 9”

Judith Ivory‘s Victorian era "lady and the cowboy" story would have been a light, enjoyable read on it’s own, but the narrator, Barbara Rosenblatt, breathed life into Liddy and Sam. She narrated the book in a non descript American accent, then gave Liddy an upper class British accent that was somehow filled with humor, vulnerability, and playfulness. And the fact that a woman was doing Sam’s voice was lost to me in seconds because his mumbly Texas drawl WAS Sam. I think I smiled through most of this audio book. What a JOY this was to listen to!



J.D. Robb - Naked in Death (unabridged)
Narrated by Susan Erickson
~
Audio Book Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 5” out of 9”

Since there just didn't seem to be any new downloadable audio releases that interested me, I was desperate and thought I might as well see what the prolific Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb had to offer. I figured if I liked this first book in her Eve Dallas series, I’d be guaranteed a steady supply of audio books.

Since I’m not much of a futuristic sci-fi fan, I appreciated the fact that this book was set in the near future yet still based on our current reality. The technology used seemed like a logical progression from what we use today, and humanity still had the same flaws and motivations.

While this audio book was enjoyable, and I WILL be buying more, I had a hard time following some of it. Not that it was too complicated, it’s just that I didn’t realize how much I expect books with gritty, kick-butt heroines to be written in first person POV. So I found myself listening to a character’s internal dialogue and then getting confused because I just assumed it was Eve’s voice I was hearing, only to be jarred when it turned out to be someone else like Roarke.
~
That’s not a problem with the writing, it’s more a problem with my perceptions combined with Susan Erickson‘s narration style.

Speaking of Roarke… *swoon*

3 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

It took me a while to get into the "In Death" series, but now I'm hooked. It amazes me she can keep married life so fresh.

Anonymous said...

Anything narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt sounds wonderful, even if the story sucks. She is one of my favorite narrators. Other wonderful narrators are Alyssa Bresnehan, John McDonough and Frank Mueller.

Anonymous said...

Annie! Are you telling me that Rourke and Eve get MARRIED!!! OMG, I can't believe you just told me that!! (Just kidding, I knew that :P)

Lissa, I see that Barbara is now narrating Katie MacAlister's Aisling Grey series. I've read them all, but Audible has set the price too high for me to buy them just for ease of re-reading them. But, yeah, she's amazing!