Tuesday, May 15, 2007

QB's Quickies


"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.


I'm trying a new feature in my Commentaries. Whenever possible, Piquant Opines will link to other reviews and commentaries for each book/series.


Vivi Anna - Blood Secrets
~
Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 5” out of 9”
~
Vivi Anna is a huge CSI fan and, in the forward to Blood Secrets, she writes, “Wouldn’t it be cool if Gil Grissam was a vampire… possessing all [his] intelligence, determination and patience and the darkly sexy allure of a 200-year-old vampire with washboard abs?”
~
Although the world building in this one wasn't completely credible(a secret Otherworld mid-sized city disguised as a military base right outside of San Antonio), it was nonetheless an absorbing, entertaining read. As a fellow CSI fanatic, I’d like to see the Sci-Fi channel or Lifetime turn this into a TV series.
~
Piquant Opines: CK2S, RT
~
Cheyenne McCray - Chosen Prey

Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 6” out of 9”
~
WOW! I usually associate Chey with erotic fantasy, but this thriller kicked some Linda Howard-esque butt! Way to go, Chey!
~
Piquant Opines: CK2S, RT
~

Shiloh Walker - The Hunters series
~
Ellora’s Cave (although most are now available in print. Check Shiloh's website for what forms and sources all the books are available in):
1. The Hunters: Declan & Tori
2. The Hunters: Eli & Sarel
3. The Hunters: Byron & Kit
4. The Hunters: Jonathan & Lori
5. The Hunters: Ben & Shadoe
6. The Hunters: Rafe & Sheila
7. The Hunters: I’ll Be Hunting You - Declan & Tori's sequel
~
Amazon (Berkley):
Hunting the Hunter - Kane & Kendall
The Blood Kiss - Hot Spell anthology with Holly, Leigh, and Brook - Roman & Julianna
~
Samhain and Amazon:
Legends: Hunters and Heroes - Matthew & Rachel (Hunter’s prequel part 1); Duncan & Kennedy; Malachi (Part I, prequel part 2)
Hunters: Heart and Soul - Mike and Leandra; Malachi (Part II) and Kelsey
~
Series Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 7” out of 9”
~
Vampires, werewolves, witches, and pant-out-loud erotic scenes. Permanently on my auto-buy list, this series really is as enjoyable as a gi-normous bag of Peanut M&Ms!
~
I listed the series in published order rather than chronological order because I think the prequel has more impact AFTER we’ve gotten to know the Hunters. Having said that though, I think most of the Hunter’s books could be read as a stand alone (except book 7). But, since I KNOW you won’t be able to stop at just one, you might as well read them in order.
~
I was thrilled that Malachi’s history was part of the prequel. His story continues in Heart and Soul. And the events surrounding Nessa- WOW! No, I won’t say what happens. If you’ve been reading the series, I want you to see it unfold as I did. And if you haven’t been reading the series (and, trust me, you should), then you won’t understand how important Nessa and Malachi are to the Hunters.
~
I hope Shiloh’s muse has many more Hunters’ stories to share with us. Like maybe Vax’s story? (hint hint)
~
Piquant Opines: RT, TwoLips, RJ
~
Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 7” out of 9”
~
This is actually a print compilation of Jory’s Carnival Tarot series from Ellora's Cave. I had already read the second one, Kiziah’s Reading, but it was definitely worth a second read. Jory Strong ALWAYS delivers good, solid stories peppered with smoking’ hot erotic scenes.
~
Piquant Opines: RRT, JERR

No comments: