Monday, June 4, 2007

QB's Quickies


"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.


Stephanie Rowe - Immortally Sexy series
1. Date Me , Baby, One More Time - Justine and Derek
2. Must Love Dragons - Theresa and Zeke
3. He Loves Me, He Loves Me Hot - Becca and Nick

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 5" out of 9"

Look, this oh-so-zany paranormal series is lighter than air, silly as can be, AND I HAVEN'T MET THESE CHARACTERS IN 9,999 OTHER PARANORMAL BOOKS! So it's staying on my auto-buy list... mainly because Becca and Nick's story (the best so far) had a bit more "weight" to it than the first two.
Piquant Opines: RT, RT, RT, CK2S

Lara Adrian (aka Tina St. John)- Kiss of Midnight - Midnight Breeds 1

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 6" out of 9"

Here's the thing- I barely remembered this Paranormal Romance just a couple of days after reading it. It's not that I DIDN'T like it, I DID, because it was a good, solid story. It's just that I've read it before, by other authors, over and over again. This book didn't bring me engaging characters I've never seen, fresh new world building, or an edge-of-my-seat storyline. It DID give me a cover that screamed "This is an IMPORTANT RELEASE! You MUST buy it!"

Five years ago, maybe even 2 or 3 years ago, I would have been singing this book's praises, but I've been hanging out way too long in the Paranormal Romance section, I guess. A book has to have at least one of the traits I mentioned above to survive in this overcrowded market. Or else market it to Paranormal Romance virgins. As for me, I'll probably buy the next one, but it will hang out in my 2nd or 3rd tier TBR pile.
Piquant Opines: RT, RJ

Maggie Shayne, Marjorie M. Liu, Alyssa Day, Meljean Brook - Wild Thing

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 5" out of 9"

Maggie Shayne's Animal Magnetism kicked butt- when did Maggie start writing such pant-out-loud scenes, anyway? But the other stories were just "alright" to me. Although, to be fair, I think they are part of series that I have not read. Oh, and it has a lickable cover, too! *g*
Piquant Opines: RT,

Alexa and Patrick Silver - Animal Attraction - Ellora's Cave

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 6" out of 9"

This is an EC Valentine Quickie, so I expected, and RECEIVED, nothing more or less than a short, light, entertaining read. The fact that the three characters happened to be feline shifters just added to the fun. Although, I wouldn't mind a more in depth glimpse someday into the shifter hierarchy these two first time authors have created.
Piquant Opines: RT, RRTE,

No comments: