Saturday, June 16, 2007

QB's Quickies


"So, read any good books lately?"
"What did you think of...?"

Here's the Quickie answers to those questions. Click on the Links for more info.



Anne Douglas - The McCabes:
1.0 Persuading Jo
1.5. Making Out

Category: M&Ms - a bit lighter and/or not quite as satisfying as Peanut M&Ms, but still Oh-So-Enjoyable! (B,B-,C+,C)
Flame Height: 7" out 9"

Persuading Jo is a short, hot contemporary ménage story with really likeable characters. However, BECAUSE they were so likeable, I would very much liked to have read their backstory as it unfolded. Instead, we got brief glimpses of these backstories as told or remembered by the characters. Matt and Brian are two straight men (except with each other) and an established couple- how did that happen, who made the first move, what obstacles did they have to overcome? Jo roomed with them her first year of college, they saved her from abuse by her cousin who became her guardian after her parents died- what had she endured, how did they save her, how did their relationship grow to the point that they realized they both needed her in their lives, when did she realize she wanted to be part of their relationship? Watching all that unfold would have made me care more for and become more involved with the characters. Besides, all that build-up would have made already smoking’ erotic scenes feel like a bonfire!

Making Out is what I refer to as a little gift from an author to their readers. It’s a VERY short story that lets us catch up with the characters from Persuading Jo and reassures us they’re still together and doing just fine. Thanks, Anne!
Piquant Opines: RT, JERR,

Rachel Vincent - Stray - Faythe and Marc

Category: Peanut M&Ms - mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category. (A-,B+,B)
Flame Height: 5" out of 9"

WHOA!! Shape shifting panthers… and Urban Fantasy done RIGHT!! This book rocked! I thought it was a standalone because, unlike most Urban Fantasy series, Stray seemed to have a satisfying ending. But Rachel is already working on the next two- Rogue (in revisions) and Pride (awaiting rewrites). I really, REALLY hope one of those is about Jace, I just wanted to cry for his hurt. And I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Andrew. An added warning: there's a couple of intensely tough scenes to read, probably not for the squeamish.
Piquant Opines: RT, RRT,


Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville series
1. Kitty and the Midnight Hour (see previous commentary)
2. Kitty Goes to Washington
3. Kitty Takes a Holiday

Series Category: Lava Cake - reads like warm Chocolate Lava Cake... à la Mode... sprinkled with nuts. (A,A-)
Flame height: 5" out of 9"

After recently reading book 1, I said that I never picked these up before because I thought they were silly chick-lit instead of the unique Urban Fantasy that they are. Well, I’m now caught up with the series to date and I can’t thank my friend enough for bitchin’ at me bugging me to read them. A werewolf story without an alpha male (or female) hero; completely unpredictable- every time I think I know where Carrie is going to take us, she finds a completely different path to pull us down; rich and satisfying. Maybe TOO satisfying because, after finishing book 3 (the best one), I kept picking up other books from my Soon to Be Savored pile and then putting them back down because I just wasn’t ready to shake Kitty and her world out of my head. Brava, Carrie Vaughn- now write faster, please!
Piquant Opines: RT, RT, RJ,

No comments: