Devon tagged me with this meme...
1. Total number of books I own:
Coincidentally, I just bought a dozen large underbed storage containers, stackable and with wheels, to try and get my books organized. Right now, books are stashed all over the house. I might even weed a few out for the first time EVER. More than likely it will be some of the tamer historicals from before I discovered spice. But I HAVE just GOT to get organized. I think I'm up to a THIRD set (fourth for some) of LKH books because it's easier to buy more from ebay than try to track them down when I'm craving a re-read.
But right now I'll have to guesstimate that print books are well over four digits, plus a few hundred ebooks, and about three dozen audio books.
2. Last Book I bought:
Well, I just hit Walden's then Border's then K-Mart to pick up the 08/28 releases. But the absolute last one for that trip was Immortals: The Gathering by Jennifer Ashley
3. Last Book I read:
(Gwen's gonna laugh her ass off at this) Lucinda, Darkly by Sunny
4. Five books that mean a lot to me: (in no significant order)
1. Stories for Late at Night - anthology edited by Alfred Hitchcock. I'd always loved scary movies. This book showed me that I loved dark and macabre BOOKS even more. I "accidently" forgot to return this to my junior high library. Years later, I loaned it to my oldest niece, LissaNY, who "accidently" never gave it back to me and lost track of it. And, yes, oddly enough, I do still acknowledge her.
2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - the first book that was truly emotional for me. I remember crying inconsolably at Beth's death scene. Walter Farley's Black Stallion books are a close second because of the sense of power and movement they invoked.
3. Black Lace Publishing and Red Sage Publishing. Okay, technically, not a book, but they are responsible for my first experiences with Erotic Romance and the beginning of my spice addiction. Black Lace gave me Menage by Emma Holly (and, IIRC, my 1st M/M), A Gentleman's Wager by Madelynne Ellis, Continuum by Portia Da Costa, and so very many more. The Secrets anthologies from Red Sage introduced me to Erotic Paranormals through authors like Angela Knight and MaryJanice Davidson.
4. Romantic Times Magazine and Ellora's Cave Publishing. Again, not technically books, but reading RT's reviews for EC's Romantica compelled me to buy my first PDA just so I could read the ebooks RT recommended. I think my first purchases were by Jaid Black and Lora Leigh. To this day, if someone says they are new to ebooks and asks where to start, I ALWAYS recommend Lora's Breeds series and I've yet to find ANYONE that didn't end up devouring each and every story.
5. Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry and Anita Blake series. If you've been reading this blog, then you already know I'm a vamp victim in The Harlequin, so that's a "gimme". However, Narcissus in Chains and Blue Moon remain my all time favorites in the AB series. The characters are so real that, when I turn the last page of a book, I shout (in my head, of course), "NO! WAIT! I'm not ready to leave them yet!" It takes me awhile to wrap my head around the fact that I can't just go to St. Louis and catch up with these "people".
With the exception of Mistral's Kiss, which was the weakest book of the series, I believe LKH's Merry Gentry series is a modern American masterpiece. The complexity of the fantasy world building that started with Kiss of Shadows is far beyond anything else I've ever read. So far, my favorite is Seduced by Moonlight.
5. Tag 5 people:
This is the toughest part because I should probably check and make sure who has or has not already been tagged for this meme. I know I've been seeing it around for awhile. I THINK the people I've listed are tag free.
1. Sybil/Gwen/Lawson - see, I'm being nice and letting YOU choose how many to do, however, I'd REALLY like each of you to do it. You can even put your own TGTBTU spin on it
2. Mandy - because I think she's a meme virgin and it's her birthday
3. Chantal - because, except for a few, we have VERY different tastes in books
4. Ann Aguirre/Annie Dean - consider it a belated birthday present chica
5. Anyone else that thinks this is a fun and/or interesting meme. Either copy the questions to your blog and post the link here or post your answers in the comments for this post if you don't have a blog
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Devon tagged me with this meme...