Sunday, March 25, 2007

Who Needs a Horse?

I'm still buried in work, but I've managed to read 2 of the 4 books I'm judging for the Passionate Plume Awards. I really, REALLY HATE reading anything in Adobe- the navigation just plain sucks! So I've been copying each one into Word and reading it through Word's print preview feature. Not as nifty as MS Reader, but soooo much better than Adobe.

Anyway, the first one was a so-so werewolf story. I gave it a generous 6.5 out of 9.0- too many inconsistencies and "Huh? WTF?" moments which could have been offset by character or story development. But I've read the story and seen the characters too many times before. I don't think we're supposed to divulge which books we are judging so I'll just leave it at that.

The second was a really good Contemporary Western Paranormal. Yep, Vampire cowboys! Or is that Cowboy Vampires? I gave it an 8.5 out of 9. The half point deduction was because she was skirting a bit too close in a couple of spots to Christine Feehan's Carpathian series.

So here's what the heroine might have seen around the ranch...




Course, I'm just posting these pics so that I can better visualize the story, you understand.

2 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

Okay, what's the cowboy looking at Mr. Happy for?

Anonymous said...

I think he's in the process of letting his little buckaroo out of the corral and didn't want to lasso him in Mr. Zipper!